Popular North Goa Forts
Reis Mogos Fort
The Reis Magos Fort, owned by the Goa government and listed under the Goa Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, is the oldest fort in Goa. It has been restored to serve as a Cultural and Heritage Centre. This fort is at a distance of 7 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 34 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 15 km from Mapusa, Reis Magos Fort is located on the northern bank of the River Mandovi across to the city of Panaji in North Goa.
This Reis Magos Fort was built utilizing laterite and is situated on a slope that can be gotten to through an incline or a tight staircase. From the Fort one can acquire a wonderful perspective of the River Mandovi. Alternate highlights of the Fort are the high inclining dividers, underground rooms, sections, barrel shaped turrets watching out towards the Mandovi River. Located close to the Fort is the Reis Magos Church, the first church of Bardez. This church is well known for the colorful 'Fiesta dos Reis Magos' which is the Feast of the Three Wise Men. The feast is held on 6th of January every year.
Located 10km from Mapusa, the red-laterite bastion, was built by the Portuguese in 1617 on the site of an earlier Muslim structure. Today, the fortress lies in ruins, although you can still see the heads of two tunnels that formerly provided supply routes for besieged defenders, as well as a scattering of Muslim tombstones on the southern slopes of the hill, believed to be relics of pre- colonial days.
The best time to visit Chapora Fort is evening time because sunset sky looks spectacular from here. Moreover, when the sky paints everything around, especially the Chapora River and beaches of Chapora, in its sunset colour, ah! the sight is just out of this world.
Terekhol or Tiracol Fort is Goa's legacy from its erstwhile Swantwadi ruler, Maharaja Khem Sawant Bhonsle. Built in the 17th Century, it provided its rulers a vantage point to anticipate and tackle any attacks from the sea. The fort was attacked in 1746 by the Portuguese and the Sawantwadi kingdom was overpowered. The fort then remained under the command of the Portuguese rule till 1961, before they left the Indian shores for good. The Terekhol Fort now has been converted into a heritage hotel, with the old Church of St. Anthony in its complex. Head here to enjoy panoramic views of the sea and soak yourself in the visual treat that this place offers.
One can reach the fort by hiring a taxi or auto, anywhere from north Goa.The journey takes you through the picturesque villages of Siolim, Ashvem, and Querim. A ferry service is available near the Querim beach to cross the Terekhol river. Bikers and pedestrians can get a free ride across the river. However people commuting by cars and light motor vehicles have to pay a nominal fare.
Fort Aguada and its lighthouse is a well-preserved seventeenth-century Portuguese fort standing in Goa, India, on Sinquerim Beach, overlooking the Arabian Sea.Strategically located at the estuary of the river Mandovi, this fort was constructed in 1612 as a guard against invasions from the Dutch and the Marathas. The walls of this fort are 5 metres high and 1.3 metres wide.
Little surprise then that this remains to be the only fort that was not conquered by any invaders during the 450 year long rule of the Portuguese empire. Though the entire fort is no longer intact, some buildings that are still in good shape have been converted into a prison. Interestingly, it happens to be the largest prison in Goa.
The Sinquerim Fort is located at a distance of 18 kms. from Panaji.The fort stands overlooking the Sinquerim beach and bisects the shoreline into two. This fort was constructed in the year 1612. This is an extension of the larger upper Aguada fort. The lower fort consists of a bastion and a section of fortified wall on both sides.
The main intention of building the fort was to guard Goa against the Dutch and the Marathas. The fort served as a reference point for vessels coming from Europe. On the right hand side of the fort lies the Taj Holiday Village resort, which is well known amongst tourists. In the distance one can see the Candolim beach and the river princess stranded amongst the waves. Between the Taj holiday resort and the lower fort lies the Sinquerim beach. On the left hand side of the bastion is a fortified wall and rocky outcroppings.
Corjuem Fort (Aldona Fort)
Corjuem Fort is a fortress situated 4 kilometres from the village of Aldona on the river island of Corjuem, Goa. It was a military fortress for the defense of Portuguese India. Corjuem Fort is also known as Khorjuem Fort. It is smaller than the other forts in Goa, but it gives a good view of the surrounding river and land. According to late Father Moreno de Souza the island name originates from Khor as in khorik which means deep or lower and Zunvem which means island.
The Fort is surrounded by lush greenery and one can get a full view of beautiful villages and islands nearby. The Fort is built out of pitted laterite stones. In the early 1800s, the Fort was used as a Military School and had in its defenses a battery of four guns. Corjuem is well connected with Aldona by a cable suspension bridge which is a major source of attraction and it is the only suspension bridge in Goa.